RE: AF_XDP not transmitting frames immediately

>On 14/12/2021 12.25, Maciej Fijalkowski wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 14, 2021 at 10:40:05AM +0000, Karlsson, Magnus wrote:
>>> Adding Ederson and Maciej.

>>> In tools/testing/selftests/bpf/xdpxceiver.c. It is the
>RUN_TO_COMPLETION_SINGLE_PKT test. But the framework only operates on
>veth currently.
>>
>> I'd say it's driver's fault. Magnus fixed something similar for i40e:
>> https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20210401172107.1191618-3-
>anthony.l.nguyen@xxxxxxxxx/
>
>Thanks for that hint.
>

>> We don't have currently igc HW on our side to dig this :<
>
>I suspected Boon Leong (cc) would have this hardware.

Unfortunately, my current setup in lab does not have I225 hooked-up
and I am working remotely due to control access to intel facility.
Perhaps, Ederson may have ready system to test?

For ZC mode, the igc driver (also true to stmmac) depends on the XSK wakeup
to trigger the NAPI poll (igc_poll) to first clean-up Tx ring and eventually call
igc_xdp_xmit_zc() to start submitting Tx frame into DMA engine. We have
used busy-poll to ensure in smaller Tx frame latency/jitter.

There was another issue in stmmac that was patched [1] recently to ensure
the driver does not perform MAC reset whenever XDP program is added
so that between XDP socket creation, the Tx transmit does not take extra
2-3s due to link down/up. Jesper, are you seeing something similar in your
app?

If yes, then it is likely because of the implementation of igc driver in mainline
that is doing igc_down(), a little bit too aggressive in reseting MAC completely.

[1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/20211111143949.2806049-1-boon.leong.ong@xxxxxxxxx/