TC bpf_csum_diff problems post-5.6 kernel

The problem I'm dealing with is XDP-adjacent, but not itself an XDP issue, so
disregard if I'm too far outside the charter of the list. :)

We run an XDP/TC-based UDP CDN.

"Edge" machine XDP takes UDP packets off eno1, slaps a proxy header on
them and bounces them to a wg0 (WireGuard)  interface, which shuttles them
to "Worker" machines.

"Worker" TC BPF on wg0 intercepts those UDP packets, strips off the
proxy header, reflects values from that header back into the UDP and IP
headers of the skb, and fixes up the checksums.

All this works fine up through kernel 5.6. But we're working on a fleet update,
and something >= 5.8 is breaking my code (or my code was always broken
and relying on some pre-5.8 bug to function).

With a bunch of perf debugging I've narrowed the problem down: it's the
checksum diff that accounts for the stripped header. I do (roughly):

    /* not shown: parse, copy proxy header to stack */

    bpf_skb_adjust_room(ctx, -12, BPF_ADJ_ROOM_NET, 0)
    skb_pull_data(ctx, sizeof(struct iphdr) + sizeof(struct udphdr))

    /* not shown: re-check packet pointers, set up pointers to headers ... */
    sum = ~((uint32_t)(udphdr->udp_sum))
    sum = bpf_csum_diff(&proxyHeader, 12, NULL, 0, sum);

    /* not shown: make other checksum fixups, write sum back to packet */

Using some perf-based printf debugging, I can see that the checksum
I'm getting from that bpf_csum_diff is wacky. Further: if I just leave the
proxy header in the UDP packet, but still change the UDP ports and
IP addresses, I get valid UDP checksums (albeit with a useless packet
that has a proxy header still in it).

I'm wondering if anyone can think of something that would have happened
post-5.6 that would have broken this (or if there's something obviously
abusive I'm doing with my "working" code, such that this never should have
worked to begin with).

---
Thomas H. Ptacek