Parsing TCP Header Options In XDP/BPF

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure whether to submit this under XDP's mailing list or BPF's. However, since it's an XDP program, I figured I'd start here. The issue has to do with the BPF verifier, though.

I am trying to parse TCP header options within XDP/BPF. In my case, I want to locate the 'timestamps' option and read/write to the sender and receive timestamps (the option's data, which is eight bytes in total I believe). In order to do this, I believe you'll need a loop since the TCP header options are dynamic in regards to location in the packet/memory, etc. For more information on the TCP timestamps option specifically, I found below a good read for those interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol#TCP_timestamps

Everything I've tried so far and the source code is all within a GitHub repository I made below. I also included a full BPF fail log in the `logs/` directory within the repository.

https://github.com/gamemann/XDP-TCP-Header-Options

In the code, I am trying to locate the timestamp offset within the TCP header options. One condition in the loop is when it finds another TCP option other than timestamps. In this case, I am trying to increment by the option's length (the second field within the option) so we can move onto scanning the next TCP option. Whenever I attempt to do so, the BPF verifier states I'm trying to access outside of the packet. However, I've tried including many checks for this (making sure the length in memory is within ctx->data and ctx->data_end for example). You can find more information about this below.

https://github.com/gamemann/XDP-TCP-Header-Options#fails

At first, I was only checking to see if the location was outside of ctx->data_end, but since that wasn't working, I figured I'd try to see if it's within ctx->data and ctx->data_end to see if it made any difference (it did not).

The tests I've ran occur for multiple kernels. From 5.14 to 5.10 and 5.4 (which is the current kernel I'm on and what I performed my documented tests under). This is also on an Ubuntu 20.04 VM I have at home and here is the output from `uname -r`.

```

root@test02:/home/cdeacon# uname -r
5.4.28-050428-generic

```

I was wondering if anybody had suggestions or could tell me what I'm doing wrong in the code above. I apologize if I've missed anything obvious as well!

Any help is highly appreciated and thank you for your time!