Re: Linux laptop with native XDP support

On Tue, Sep 07, 2021 at 06:50:49PM -0700, Jose Fernandez wrote:
> > Nope, no XDP support for WiFi. There was some exploratory discussion
> > about that some years ago, but XDP has Ethernet as a pretty fundamental
> > assumption so it's not an obvious fit to the Linux WiFi stack...
> >
> > -Toke
> >

> I came to the realization about that a few hours after sending this
> email. I found this link useful to identity which drivers support XDP:
> https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/A/ident/bpf_prog_run_xdp
>
> I had my eyes on the latest gen "slim" Linux notebooks (Lenovo XC1,
> Dell XPS), but these don't have built-in Ethernet anymore. So I'm back
> to the drawing board. Thanks for the tip on ixgbe and Broadcom.

Note that e1000e remains quite popular among notebooks (my last HP one
and the two following thinkpads including the T480s I'm typing on have
this), and there is common ancestry between e1000e and igb. When I
implemented the NDIV framework (which basically does pretty similar
things as XDP does in the drivers), I managed to implement e1000,
e1000e, igb and ixgbe without too many difficulties. Maybe it could
be a good opportunity for you to try to port XDP to e1000e using such
a machine, by looking at the work from igb ?

Willy