Re: Profiling XDP programs for performance issues

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 1:06 AM Neal Shukla <nshukla@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Using perf, we've confirmed that the line mentioned has a 25.58% cache miss
> rate.

Do these hit in the LLC or in DRAM? In any case, your best bet is
likely to prefetch this into your L1/L2. In my experience, the best
way to do this is not to use an explicit prefetch instruction but to
touch/fetch the cache lines you need in the beginning of your
computation and let the fetch latency and the usage of the first cache
line hide the latencies of fetching the others. In your case, touch
both metadata and packet at the same time. Work with the metadata and
other things then come back to the packet data and hopefully the
relevant part will reside in the cache or registers by now. If that
does not work, touch packet number N+1 just before starting with
packet N.

Very general recommendations but hope it helps anyway. How exactly to
do this efficiently is very application dependent.

/Magnus