Re: How to orchestrate multiple XDP programs

On 21/01/29 01:02PM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Hi Brian
>
> I've posted a first draft of this protocol description here:
> https://github.com/xdp-project/xdp-tools/blob/master/lib/libxdp/protocol.org
>
> Please take a look and let me know what you think. And do feel free to
> point out any places that are unclear, as I said this is a first draft,
> and I'm expecting it to evolve as I get feedback from you and others :)
>
> -Toke

Thanks so much for doing this Toke. There's a lot of great information.
I did one read-through, and didn't notice any surprises compared to the
code that I've read so far.

One thing I have been a little concerned about is the XDP_RUN_CONFIG in
the xdp program function. For our case--with multiple teams writing
independent, composable xdp programs--we don't want the XDP_RUN_CONFIG
policy to be in the xdp program. Instead, we want the Go orchestration
tool to have that policy as part of its configuration data (e.g., what
order to run the xdp program functions in). From what I can tell, it's
possible to omit the XDP_RUN_CONFIG from the xdp program function, and
instead set the values when loading the xdp dispatcher. That's great, and
thanks for the foresight there. I just want to confirm that I'm
understanding that correctly, because it's very important for us.

Also, I do hope that the existing Go BTF libraries are good enough to do
what's needed here, because if I'm understand correctly, that's how I'll
need to approach setting the XDP_RUN_CONFIG values for our use case.

I've been tasked to work on a Go libxdp implementation this quarter, so
I'll be starting on that soon and let you know if I have questions as I
go. I'm also happy to coordinate with anyone else that's interested.

Thanks again,
Brian