Re: XDP_REDIRECT with xsks_map and dev_map

maharishi bhargava <bhargavamaharishi@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 8:39 PM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <toke@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> maharishi bhargava <bhargavamaharishi@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> > CODE:
>> > BPF MAPS:
>> >

>> > struct bpf_map_def SEC("maps") xsks_map = {
>> >     .type = BPF_MAP_TYPE_XSKMAP,
>> >     .key_size = sizeof(int),
>> >     .value_size = sizeof(int),
>> >     .max_entries = 64,  /* Assume netdev has no more than 64 queues */
>> > };
>> >
>> > struct bpf_map_def SEC("maps") tx_port = {
>> >     .type = BPF_MAP_TYPE_DEVMAP,
>> >     .key_size = sizeof(int),
>> >     .value_size = sizeof(int),
>> >     .max_entries = 1024,
>> > };
>> >
>> > struct Ingress_qos_lts_value{
>> >     struct bpf_spin_lock lock;
>> >     u64 timestamp;
>> > };
>> > struct bpf_map_def SEC("maps") Ingress_qos_lts = {
>> >     .type = BPF_MAP_TYPE_ARRAY,
>> >     .key_size = sizeof(u32),
>> >     .value_size = sizeof(struct Ingress_qos_lts_value),
>> >     .max_entries = 1025,
>> > };
>> > BPF_ANNOTATE_KV_PAIR(Ingress_qos_lts,u32,struct Ingress_qos_lts_value);
>> >

>> > SEC("prog")
>> > int ebpf_filter(struct xdp_md *ctx){
>> >     struct xdp_output xout;
>> >    xout.output_port = 1;
>> >     void* ebpf_packetStart = ((void*)(long)ctx->data);
>> >     void* ebpf_packetEnd = ((void*)(long)ctx->data_end);
>> >     u64 rate = 100;//100 Kbps
>> >     rate *= 1000*1000*100;//10 Gbps
>> >     u32 key = 1;//some key
>> >     u64 packet_length=(ebpf_packetEnd-ebpf_packetStart-42)*8;
>> >     packet_length *= 1000000000; //packet length * 10^9, to convert
>> > rate from second to nanosecond
>> >     struct Ingress_qos_lts_value* val;
>> >     val = bpf_map_lookup_elem(&Ingress_qos_lts, &key);
>> >     u64 now = bpf_ktime_get_ns();
>> >     u64 lts;
>> >     if (val) {
>> >         bpf_spin_lock(&val->lock);
>> >         lts = *(&val->timestamp)+(packet_length/rate);
>> >         if(now>lts){
>> >             lts = now;
>> >         }
>> >         *(&val->timestamp) = lts;
>> >         bpf_spin_unlock(&val->lock);
>> >                     // printk("Time : %x %x\n",lts,now);
>> >         if(lts>now){
>> >             return bpf_redirect_map(&xsks_map, ctx->rx_queue_index, 0);
>> >         }
>> >     }
>> >     return  bpf_redirect_map(&tx_port,xout.output_port,0);
>> > }
>> >
>> > So, Basically this code redirects the packet to some other interface
>> > or sends the packet to userspace based on the incoming packet rate.
>>
>> Well, if you say it goes away when you remove the xsk code, the obvious
>> explanation would be that the packets are being redirected to userspace
>> instead? What does xdp_monitor say?
>>
>> -Toke
>>
> No packets are not going to userspace. NIC stops processing any more
> packets after 1024 redirected packets. I'll post the results of
> [...]

Hmm, in zero-copy mode packets are DMA'ed directly into the
userspace-provided buffer (hence zero copies). Pretty sure this is
incompatible with forwarding them to the stack, whether or not the
kernel supports zero-copy in the first place.

Cc Magnus who will know for sure.

-Toke