Re: Shared Umem between processes

Björn Töpel <bjorn.topel@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 at 10:17, Gaul, Maximilian <maximilian.gaul@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>
> [...]
>>
>> Thank you so much Björn!
>>
>> just to wrap things up:
>>
>> - if I want to distribute packet processing from a single RX-Queue to
>> multiple sockets I have to use shared umem because it is not possible
>> to bind multiple af-xdp sockets onto the same RX-Queue
>
> Correct! And you need a tailored XDP program that spreads over the
> shared umem sockets!

Could we lift this restriction? Not with zero-copy, obviously, but if
there's a copy involved it seems it should be possible to support
several sockets on the same RXQ? That would make it possible to use XDP
as a per-CPU load balancer for a single RXQ, like we can do with cpumap
for packets hitting the stack today?

-Toke