Re: Maximum xdpsock txpush rate with AF_XDP ??

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 1:37 PM Cameron Elliott
<cameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am trying see what the highest rate I can push out of a single
> x710/QDA2 port is.
>
> I have seen numbers like 50+ mpps in a  Magnus and Björn youtube video,
> but granted, I know very little as I am really new to the x710 and XDP/AF_XDP.
>
> But I am only able to get about 2.2 mpps,  nothing like Magnus and
> Björn have been able to achieve.

You are using the SKB mode, not the zero-copy mode that will give you
higher numbers. Somewhere around 20 Mpps if you run a new kernel.

> One big issue is this command "sudo ./xdpsock -t  -i enp1s0f0 -N -z"
> Fails with:
> samples/bpf/xdpsock_user.c:xsk_configure_socket:322: errno:
> 95/"Operation not supported"

What driver are you using? It seems it does not support zero copy. The
virtual function (vf) driver of x710/i40e does not but the physical
function driver does.

> Is there a guide or README I should read on how to try to achieve
> numbers like theirs?
>
> If there is not a guide, would it be helpful if I wrote one? (a small
> guide on maxing rxdrop/tspush/l2fwd)
> (it would seem like a good trade to get some help from others here,
> and write a simple guide from a newbies
> perspective like mine, if someone wants to give me some help)

A guide published on the net would always be helpful.

Thanks: Magnus