Re: zero-copy between interfaces

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 12:54:09 -0500
Ryan Goodfellow <rgoodfel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 06:04:11PM +0100, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 10:28:00 -0500
> > Ryan Goodfellow <rgoodfel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I am using a batch size of 256.
> >
> > Hmm...
> >
> > Maybe you can test with xdp_redirect_map program in samples/bpf/ and
> > compare the performance on this hardware?
>
> Hi Jesper,
>
> I tried to use this program, however it does not seem to work for bidirectional
> traffic across the two interfaces?

It does work bidirectional if you start more of these xdp_redirect_map
programs.  Do notice this is an example program.  Look at xdp_fwd_*.c
if you want a program that is functional and uses the existing IP route
table for XDP acceleration.

My point is that there are alternatives for doing zero-copy between
interfaces... A xdp_redirect_map inside the kernel out another
interface is already zero-copy.

I'm wondering why did you choose/need AF_XDP technology for doing forwarding?

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer