Re: Bad XDP performance with mlx5

Le 31/05/2019 à 20:06, Saeed Mahameed a écrit :

The question is, On the same packet rate/bandwidth do you see higher
cpu utilization on mlx5 compared to other drivers? you have to compare
apples to apples.

I meant relative increase. Of course at 40G the XL710 is using less CPU, but activating XDP is nearly free. As XDP is purely per packet I would expect the cost of it to be similar. Eg, a few instructions per packet.

Thanks Jesper for looking into this!

I don't think I will be of much help further on this matter. My take out would be: as a first-time user looking into XDP after watching a dozen of XDP talks, I would have expected XDP default settings to be identical to SKB, so I don't have to watch out for a set of per-driver parameter checklist to avoid increasing my CPU consumption by 15% when inserting "a super efficient and light BPF program". But I understand it's not that easy...

Tom