IP forwarding and eBPF

Hi

Is XDP designed for implementing packet forwarding? Is there an
example of ipv4 forwarding the kernel? I don't find any example in
samples/bpf/ directory.

I'm also looking at XDP implementation in i40e driver. Is there a
reason we need to use eBPF program for packet forwarding? Is it
possible to use percpu kernel thread  instead of an eBPF program? DPDK
creates user thread for each CPU core. Each user thread processes
packet independently in a lockless manner. I'm wondering if XDP can do
something like that inside kernel (possibly using workqueue). Looking
forward to your suggestions.

Many thanks
Tamim
PhD Candidate,