Re: BPF assembler?

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 9:24 PM, Jakub Kicinski <kubakici@xxxxx> wrote:

>> llvm assembler is almost there too, but it needs some work.
>
> Does it use the "verifier instruction format"?  Is it available
> somewhere to look at?

yes. you can use verifier instruction format.
That was the goal for llvm to be as close as possible to
kernel verifier syntax.
But, I think, it's fine to deviate if it makes asm code easier to read.
What is missing is AsmParser directory in
llvm/lib/Target/BPF
disassembler, elf tools, codegen are all there.
Most of the core backend components are shared in the llvm,
so it's only missing text parser.
Most backends already have assemblers:
ls -d lib/Target/*/AsmParser
To make one for BPF requires a lot of copy-paste from others ;)