Re: XDP redirect measurements, gotchas and tracepoints

On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 11:59 PM, Michael Chan
<michael.chan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Alexander Duyck
> <alexander.duyck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Michael Chan <michael.chan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Right, but it's conceivable to add an API to "return" the buffer to
>>> the input device, right?
>>
>> You could, it is just added complexity. "just free the buffer" in
>> ixgbe usually just amounts to one atomic operation to decrement the
>> total page count since page recycling is already implemented in the
>> driver. You still would have to unmap the buffer regardless of if you
>> were recycling it or not so all you would save is 1.000015259 atomic
>> operations per packet. The fraction is because once every 64K uses we
>> have to bulk update the count on the page.
>>

> If the buffer is returned to the input device, the input device can
> keep the DMA mapping.  All it needs to do is to dma_sync it back to
> the input device when the buffer is returned.

That is what ixgbe is already doing. The Rx path doesn't free the
page, it just treats it as a bounce buffer and uses the page count to
make certain we don't use a section of the buffer that is already in
use.

- Alex