Re: Running Prototype-kernel package

On Thu, 1 Jun 2017 17:45:03 +0300 Adel Fuchs <adelfuchs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thank you so much for your help. I need to run an eBPF programs that
> filters packets according to IP address or port. I'm trying to run the
> prototype-kernel package but encounter problems.

The prototype-kernel github repo[1] is actually originally meant for
developing real kernel module.  I guess, I should/could have placed the
eBPF/XDP examples[3] in another github repo.

[1] https://github.com/netoptimizer/prototype-kernel
[2] http://netoptimizer.blogspot.dk/2014/11/announce-github-repo-prototype-kernel.html
[3] https://github.com/netoptimizer/prototype-kernel/tree/master/kernel/samples/bpf

> I went over the "getting started" tutorial, but I couldn'f find a
> tutorial which explains how to actually run the samples. So this is
> what I did:
>
> clang -O2 -Wall -target bpf -c xdp_ddos01_blacklist_cmdline.c -o
> xdp_ddos01_blacklist_cmdline

Don't do this... as you found out all the included path are screwed
this way.  There is a Makefile in the directory[3] kernel/samples/bpf,
so simply chdir into this dir and run 'make'.  Just like you would do
in the kernel tree[4].

[4] https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/samples/bpf/README.rst

[...]
> Could you please help me run these samples? Could you please guide me
> to the right sample that I need and tell me how to run it?
> Note that I was able to run a simple XDP program on this computer, so
> I think that it is configured all right...

I've also been touring with a tutorial talk, see latest here[5]

[5] http://people.netfilter.org/hawk/presentations/LLC2017/XDP_DDoS_protecting_LLC2017.pdf

I guess, I'll update the documentation a bit after your feedback,
thanks.

--
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer