Re: XDP question: best API for returning/setting egress port?

On 04/19/2017 10:02 PM, Andy Gospodarek wrote:
[...]
and then lookup this dest in a table we have the option to make that
dest an ifindex/socket/other.

I did also look at JohnF's patch and I do like the simplicity of the redirect
action and new ndo_xdp_xmit and how it moves towards a way to transmit the
frame.  The downside is that it presumes an ifindex, so it might not be ideal
we want the lookup to return something other than an ifindex.

[...]
would be handled.  If we are ultimately going to need a new netdev op to
handle the redirect then what may be the issue with not providing the
destination port the return code and the option proposed by JohnF looks
good to me with maybe a small tweak to not presume ifindex in some manner.

Is there a concrete reason that all the proposed future cases like sockets
have to be handled within the very same XDP_REDIRECT return code? F.e. why
not XDP_TX_NIC that only assumes ifindex as proposed in the patch, and future
ones would get a different return code f.e. XDP_TX_SK only handling sockets
when we get there implementation-wise?