Re: extra search flags and params? (ispatch, replycount, ...)

On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 05:35:09PM +0000, Eric Wong wrote:
> > I understand the reasoning, but I'm not sure we should be trying too hard to
> > make public-inbox a patch tracking platform. What makes lei great is ability
> > to automatically find and retrieve entire threads -- I feel like we should
> > leave series tracking to other platforms that already exist (patchwork,
> > patchew, etc).
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of readers just trying to
> find trying to find non-patch discussions.

Ah. I think here is enough to just say "s:* AND NOT s:PATCH" without
introducing additional xapian indexing parameters. Though, perhaps the web
interface can also gain a "collapse threads" view?

> > This made me realize that there's actually a multitude of ways the same patch
> > can be represented (diff-algorithm, number of context lines, etc) that would
> > cause git-patch-id to return a different value for the exact same commit.
>
> Yeah, post-image blob abbreviations are probably the way to go.
>
> Fwiw, solver only uses post-image blob abbreviations and the
> filename as a hint.  I rolled it out a few hours ago on yhbt.net/lore
> and it seems to be solving kernel blobs just fine, but the
> debug log is choosing random git URLs.

Ah, neat! That said, what happens if a series was applied with "git am -3" and
the post-image blob abbreviations are necessarily different? (I may be
misunderstanding the approach, please correct me if I do.)

-K