Re: [REGRESSION] USB ports do not work after suspend/resume cycle with v6.6.2

On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 01:59:24PM +0100, Vlastimil Babka wrote:
> +Cc workflows
>
> On 11/24/23 12:43, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 23, 2023 at 07:20:46PM +0100, Oleksandr Natalenko wrote:
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> Since v6.6.2 kernel release I'm experiencing a regression with regard
> >> to USB ports behaviour after a suspend/resume cycle.
> >>
> >> If a USB port is empty before suspending, after resuming the machine
> >> the port doesn't work. After a device insertion there's no reaction in
> >> the kernel log whatsoever, although I do see that the device gets
> >> powered up physically. If the machine is suspended with a device
> >> inserted into the USB port, the port works fine after resume.
> >>
> >> This is an AMD-based machine with hci version 0x110 reported. As per
> >> the changelog between v6.6.1 and v6.6.2, 603 commits were backported
> >> into v6.6.2, and one of the commits was as follows:
> >>
> >> $ git log --oneline v6.6.1..v6.6.2 -- drivers/usb/host/xhci-pci.c
> >> 14a51fa544225 xhci: Loosen RPM as default policy to cover for AMD xHC
> >> 1.1
> >>
> >> It seems that this commit explicitly enables runtime PM specifically
> >> for my platform. As per dmesg:
> >>
> >> v6.6.1: quirks 0x0000000000000410 v6.6.2: quirks 0x0000000200000410
> >>
> >> Here, bit 33 gets set, which, as expected, corresponds to:
> >>
> >> drivers/usb/host/xhci.h 1895:#define XHCI_DEFAULT_PM_RUNTIME_ALLOW
> >> BIT_ULL(33)
> >>
> >> This commit is backported from the upstream commit 4baf12181509, which
> >> is one of 16 commits of the following series named "xhci features":
> >>
> >> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20231019102924.2797346-1-mathias.nyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
> >>
> >>  It appears that there was another commit in this series, also from
> >> Basavaraj (in Cc), a5d6264b638e, which was not picked for v6.6.2, but
> >> which stated the following:
> >>
> >> Use the low-power states of the underlying platform to enable runtime
> >> PM. If the platform doesn't support runtime D3, then enabling default
> >> RPM will result in the controller malfunctioning, as in the case of
> >> hotplug devices not being detected because of a failed interrupt
> >> generation.
> >>
> >> It felt like this was exactly my case. So, I've conducted two tests:
> >>
> >> 1. Reverted 14a51fa544225 from v6.6.2. With this revert the USB ports
> >> started to work fine, just as they did in v6.6.1. 2. Left 14a51fa544225
> >> in place, but also applied upstream a5d6264b638e on top of v6.6.2. With
> >> this patch added the USB ports also work after a suspend/resume cycle.
> >>
> >> This runtime PM enablement did also impact my AX200 Bluetooth device,
> >> resulting in long delays before headphones/speaker can connect, but
> >> I've solved this with btusb.enable_autosuspend=N. I think this has
> >> nothing to do with the original issue, and I'm OK with this workaround
> >> unless someone has got a different idea.
> >>
> >> With that, please consider either reverting 14a51fa544225 from the
> >> stable kernel, or applying a5d6264b638e in addition to it. Given the
> >> mainline kernel has got both of them, I'm in favour of applying
> [...]

No, I mean the "The subsystem maintainer knew this needed to be added to
the stable trees so they told the stable maintainer to do so."  Now the
fact that I am both people at once, and did so in my own head instead of
writing myself a public email, might not have made this all that obvious :)

thanks,

gre gk-h