Re: [RFC Draft net-next] docs: netdev: add section on using lei to manage netdev mail volume

Hi David,

On 06/11/2023 17:57, David Wei wrote:
> On 2023-11-06 03:24, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
>> On 05/11/2023 19:50, David Wei wrote:
>>> As a beginner to netdev I found the volume of mail to be overwhelming. I only
>>> want to focus on core netdev changes and ignore most driver changes. I found a
>>> way to do this using lei, filtering the mailing list using lore's query
>>> language and writing the results into an IMAP server.
>>
>> I agree that the volume of mail is too high with a variety of subjects.
>> That's why it is very important to CC the right people (as mentioned by
>> Patchwork [1] ;) )
>>
>> [1]
>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/netdevbpf/patch/20231105185014.2523447-1-dw@xxxxxxxxxxx/
>
> Sorry and noted, I've now CC'd maintainers mentioned by Patchwork.

Thanks!

>>> This patch is an RFC draft of updating the maintainer-netdev documentation with
>>> this information in the hope of helping out others in the future.
>>
>> Note that I'm also using lei to filter emails, e.g. to be notified when
>> someone sends a patch modifying this maintainer-netdev.rst file! [2]
>>
>> But I don't think this issue of "busy mailing list" is specific to
>> netdev. It seems that "lei" is already mentioned in another part of the
>> doc [3]. Maybe this part can be improved? Or the netdev doc could add a
>> reference to the existing part?
>
> I think "busy mailing list" is especially bad for netdev. There are many
> tutorials for setting up lei, but my ideal goal is a copy + paste
> command specifically for netdev that outputs into an IMAP server for
> beginners to use. As opposed to writing something more generic.

I see. I don't know if many people are in this case, but having this
example will certainly help people adapting it to their case!

>> (Maybe such info should be present elsewhere, e.g. on vger [4] or lore)
>>
>> [2]
>> https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/?q=%28dfn%3ADocumentation%2Fnetworking%2Fnetdev-FAQ.rst+OR+dfn%3ADocumentation%2Fprocess%2Fmaintainer-netdev.rst%29+AND+rt%3A1.month.ago..
>> [3]
>> https://docs.kernel.org/maintainer/feature-and-driver-maintainers.html#mailing-list-participation
>
> This document is aimed at kernel maintainers. My concern is that
> beginners would not find or read this document.

Indeed.

>> [4] http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html
>
> It would be nice to add a link in the netdev list "Info" section. Do you
> know how to update it?

No, sorry. Maybe Jakub or DaveM can help?

> How about keeping a netdev specific sample lei query in
> maintainer-netdev and refer to it from [4]?

Fine by me, but best to check with Netdev maintainers :)

(...)

> It would be ideal if we could express dfn:^net/*. I contacted the public
> inbox folks and they said it is not supported :(

Thank you for having asked them and Konstantin. That's a shame we cannot
use regex. Maybe later.

Cheers,
Matt