Re: Planned changes for bugzilla.kernel.org to reduce the "Bugzilla blues"

On 05.10.22 11:57, Hans de Goede wrote:
> On 10/5/22 11:00, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, there's no such thing. ;) And maybe we'll even help tip the
>>> course of history into the other direction -- Red Hat uses bugzilla, and so
>>> does OpenSuse, so there's a pretty good core of well-funded companies that
>>> would be in a position to help keep bugzilla going if it's looking like the
>>> platform is still alive. Or that could all be wishful thinking and they'll all
>>> migrate to Jira or something equally horrible, who knows.
>>
>> Well, Red Hat apparently is already in the process of migrating to Jira
>> in the long run:
>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/epel-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/thread/U7TZRWXVUGBCHS6EBJIBSFAVPFUHHV7J/
>>
>> To quote that mail from March:
>>
>> ```
>> As some of you may know, Red Hat has been using both Bugzilla and Jira
>> via issues.redhat.com for RHEL development for several years.  Our
>> intention is to move to using issues.redhat.com only for the major
>> RHEL releases after RHEL 9.
>> ```
>
> That is for RHEL only though I'm not sure what the plans for Fedora are.

FWIW & for completeness: at least Fedora's project leader Matthew Miller
thinks that Fedora ```should plan to migrate [from bugzilla] to
something else in the next three years. There are two reasons for this,
and only one of them is that Red Hat is moving away. The second is that
Bugzilla isn’t a great tool for what we need anyway.

On the first part: yes, there’s a long, slow sunset, but I think
realistically we’re going to see business-side attention drop
significantly, and we’ll have correspondingly worse and worse service.
Right now, there are basically only two people keeping it all going,
which is heroic. I don’t think it’s too much
pulling-back-the-corporate-curtain to guess that if one or both get
tired of that and decide to go start a yak farm, Red Hat won’t
prioritize hiring backfill dedicated in the same way. We could ask CPE
to keep it going, but… there’s so much more I’d like to ask CPE. (And
non-CPE volunteers? There’s so much that’s more interesting!)

So to the second part: Bugzilla isn’t what we really need anyway.[...]```

See his post from March here for links and the rest of his msg:
https://discussion.fedoraproject.org/t/the-future-of-bugzilla-in-fedora/37735
I quoted the msg fully at the end of this mail for completeness.

Only learned about this msg now through a comment from Matthew
(https://lwn.net/Articles/910966/ ) in an article about this thread
(https://lwn.net/Articles/910740/ ). To quote from his lwn.net comment:

```
Tl;dr: many similar issues as in the above conversation. Triage is a big
deal. "Bugs" aren't really the best place to start -- it's better to
send people to a help forum first, file bugs second. [...]
```

Ciao, Thorsten

P.S.: Here is the promised full quote of:

```