Re: Planned changes for bugzilla.kernel.org to reduce the "Bugzilla blues"

On Tue, Oct 4, 2022 at 10:53 AM Konstantin Ryabitsev
<konstantin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2. Create and maintain a mapping from MAINTAINER subsystem entries to
>    Product/Component categories in Bugzilla (the scheme to be established).

It's probably worth asking the 0day people what they do.

Maybe they do it all manually and have no real helping infrastructure,
but I see emails from them that often (but certainly not always) seem
to get the right people involved.

And while the MAINTAINER file is useful for a fiel mapping, I'm not
convinced it's all that useful for the "product/component category"
mapping, because I doubt people will actually fill that in well (and
reliably) enough.

With actual bisection data, it's fairly easy (get the emails from the
commit that got bisected). But things like "use the backtrace in the
oops to figure out who to add to participants" is likely a bit more of
a "use clever heuristics" kind of thing.

Anyway, I do think that some kind of automation would be really good,
at least for reports that have bisection information or backtraces in
them. Without automation, people _will_ be overwhelmed on the first
level response to bug reports (ie the "try to figure out who to bring
in" front).

But if the automation is too stupid, people will start ignoring the
report emails just on the assumption that it got thihngs wrong.

Of course, if the automation is really solid enough, I think it should
work on lore.kernel.org, not on just a bugzilla thing.

             Linus