Gmail (was: Re: lore+lei: part 2, now with IMAP)

Hi Konstantin,

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 8:13 PM Konstantin Ryabitsev
<konstantin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Continuing on my previous email about setting up lei with lore.kernel.org,
> here's the next installment. As with the previous part, this will be posted on
> people.kernel.org as well as here.
>
> # lore+lei: part 2, now with IMAP

> ### The same with Gmail
>
> If you are a Gmail user and aren't already using IMAP, then you will need to
> jump through a few additional hoops before you are able to get going. Google
> is attempting to enhance the security of your account by restricting how much
> can be done with just your Google username and password, so services like IMAP
> are not available without setting up a special "app password" that can only be
> used for mail access.
>
> Enabling app passwords requires that you first enable 2-factor authentication,
> and then generate a random app password to use with IMAP. Please follow the
> process described in the following Google document:
> https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833

On a related subject, I am using Gmail for email (e.g. patch review),
but not for actual patch submission (git send-email through my ISP's
SMTP server). I do have app passwords set up for git send-email on
my laptop (if I ever need to send patches while on the road, barely
used so far) and for backing up email using getmail.

Recently I received an email from Google that my account may be "at
greater risk of targeted attack", and that they recommend enrolling
into Google's strongest account security offering, the Advanced
Protection Program.  Apparently this makes use of a hardware token,
the Titan Security Key.  I have no idea what kind of criteria are
used to reach out to people (might be people involved with important
FLOSS projects, who knows? ;-), but the other family members haven't
received this.

Perhaps other people are in the same boat?
Do you have any advice here? Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds