Re: RFC: Github PR bot questions

Hi Konstantin,

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 7:18 PM Konstantin Ryabitsev
<konstantin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been doing some work on the "github-pr-to-ml" bot that can monitor GitHub
> pull requests on a project and convert them into fully well-formed patch
> series. This would be a one-way operation, effectively turning Github into a
> fancy "git-send-email" replacement. That said, it would have the following
> benefits for both submitters and maintainers:

For Rust for Linux, I have a GitHub bot that reviews PRs and spots the
usual mistakes in commit messages (tags, formatting, lkml vs. lore
links, that sort of thing). It has been very effective so far to teach
newcomers how to follow the kernel development process.

I am also extending it to take Acks, Reviewed-by's, Tested-by's, etc.,
and then performing the merge only if the CI passes (which includes
running tests under QEMU, code formatting, lints, etc.) after applying
each patch.

So, in a way, I am trying to go a bit further by bringing the kernel
development workflow into GitHub (and similar services), rather than
keeping the ML as the main place for code review etc. I know it can be
controversial, but hey, I want to try. :)

I also thought about having the bot parse the ML and create PRs
automatically from that (i.e. the reverse direction from what you want
to achieve), and I thought about reusing some of your `b4` code for
that, but it will depend on the amount of patches we receive in the ML
etc. One could even make it bi-directional to some degree, but I am
not sure it is worth the complexity.

By the way, the gccrs project (also in GitHub, but also following
GCC's workflow which involves MLs) also wanted something like ML-to-PR
direction, and I suggested to them taking a look at `b4` too.

Cheers,
Miguel