Re: [Ksummit-discuss] RFC: create mailing list "linux-issues" focussed on issues/bugs and regressions

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 09:30:33AM -0700, James Bottomley wrote:
> > I think the bulk of user issues are going to be regressions. Although
> > you may be in a better position to know for sure, but at least for
> > me, wearing my "user" hat, the thing that gets me the most is
> > upgrading to a new kernel and suddenly something that use to work no
> > longer does. And that is the definition of a regression. My test
> > boxes still run old distros (one is running fedora 13). These are the
> > boxes that catch the most issues, and if they do, they are pretty
> > much guaranteed to be a regression.
> >
> > I like the "linux-regressions" mailing list idea.
>
> Can't we use the fancy features of public inbox to get the best of both
> worlds?  Have the bug list (or even a collection of lists) but make the
> linux-regressions one a virtual list keying off an imap flag which a
> group of people control.  That way anything that is flagged as a
> regression appears in that public inbox.  I assume the search can be
> quite wide so we could flag a regression on any list indexed by lore?

There's a number of ways we can accomplish this, sure.

However, this functionality is not in production yet, and I'm not sure which
upcoming public-inbox features we'll be implementing as a public
lore.kernel.org service, which ones we'll only offer to kernel.org account
holders, and which ones should really be running locally by developers
themselves.

So, I don't want to say either yes or no to this one for the fear of
over-promising. I guess this is why I'm not in sales. :)

-K