Re: How to solve "SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed"; also, how to upgrade to PHP 7 from 5?

hi,

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 1:00 AM, inhahe <inhahe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm running phpBB3, and when it tries to send an email I get this error:
> SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed
>
> I tried getting help in #phpbb and on their message board, but nobody could
> help me. I think this is probably more a problem with my PHP setup than with
> phpBB3 specifically anyway.
>
> The line that it reports the error at is this:
>
> $smtp->socket = fsockopen($config['smtp_host'], $config['smtp_port'],
> $errno, $errstr, 20);
>
> Could that be an actual OpenSSL/certificate issue, or does that just mean
> that php can't open internet sockets?
>
> Someone suggested to me that maybe the server uses a self-signed certificate

Most like yes,this is what the message says:

error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate
verify failed

the verification failed, not the reading of the certificate (as in
network issues).

> or that the certificate doesn't exist on my Windows box, but the server is
> AT&T - specifically outbound.att.net - wouldn't that be big enough that I
> wouldn't have those problems? Also, I've gotten this problem with several
> other SMTP servers I've tried. I've never been able to connect to a single
> one out of about 5-6 I tried, with dozens of variations of connection
> settings, though error messages varied.. I've gotten about 5 different error
> messages, though "certificate verify failed" was by far the most common.
>
> Should I try to get the server's certificate somehow and put that in my
> system manually? If so, how do I get the server's certificate and how do I
> put it in my system?

If it is not self signed but your local certificate storage is not up
to date, you can update it. See
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32019623/openssl-error-messages-error14090086ssl-routinesssl3-get-server-certificate
for an example, be sure to take it only from curl.