Alternative methods to change maximum file upload ini settings?

While am trying to use ini_set at the top of my script to change both
upload_max_filesize: 2M
post_max_size: 8M

They seem to refuse to implement the changes - those are the values it's pulling out using ini_get() function both before, and after the call of the ini_set() function, and have tried both integer byte values, and short-hand values using the M suffix/unit, to set it to 20Mb?

Am also implementing the hidden field to try work with this as well:
<input type="hidden" name="MAX_FILE_SIZE" value="21474836480" />

And, that's the very first field inside the <form /> tags, but, this just doesn't seem to want to cooperate - files smaller than the default values seem quite happy/comfortable to be uploaded, but, any file larger than that just includes error integer 1 inside the $_FILES["fil_field"] array/collection, which equates to an error relating to UPLOAD_ERR_INI_SIZE.

Now, can edit php.ini on my windows dev machine to change/hard-code those values, but won't necessarily help in production environments, and really just not sure why this is not prepared to cooperate with ini_set, etc. - working under XAMPP, implementing PHP 5.5.11, running under apache 2.4.9, and, for example, if I try this on a production, debian box, with similar version numbers, then same behaviour?

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA