Re: Dropping support of Windows XP

hi Lester,

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Lester Caine <lester@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Pierre Joye wrote:
>>
>> Nothing forces you to update to 5.5. 5.4 supports XP and 2003 and will
>> do for its full life (3 years).
>>
>> Both XP and 2k3 are not supported anymore by Microsoft, this is the
>> right time to reduce our workload and improve the core by supporting
>> less than 10 years old Windows versions.
>

> It is still worth remembering that Windows 7 is the only 'acceptable'
> version of Windows since XP and Microsoft have acknowledged that vista
> simply does not work for many corporate sites. It is for that reason they
> have had to extend support of XP, and our current problems with Windows 7
> and now 8 is that it does not support 'set-top' type hardware well.
> Switching to embedded versions of windows is another expense that can be
> avoided by the use of XP even today!
> XP licenses are still available today!

XP support is over, since long. XP extended support has nothing to do
with Vista but some components (activex or IE related) used by corps
for custom apps. In any case, it is totally irrelevant for us, there
is no XP support anymore and we won't support any longer.

> So all that we are looking for is a stable 'LTS' for XP systems, rather than
> pulling the plug too early as happened with PHP5.2 ... still a previously
> stable point for many current installations.

You need XP/2003? stick to 5.3 or 5.4. 5.2 has been around for years,
5.3 too. 5.4 is around since more than a year.

About LTS, you have LTS, 3 years full support and fully BC for every x.y+1.

Now again, stop ot hi jack every single thread with the same story
over and over. It makes no sense anymore and you won't convince anyone
anyway.

Cheers,
--
Pierre