Re: Dropping support of Windows XP

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 7:20 PM, Mayur Patil <ram.nath241089@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>    Today with New release of version 5.5.0 PHP has achieved
>
>    great development milestone. But has dropped support
>
>    for XP. I am wondering that most of people still using Windows
>
>    XP while most them has shifted from SP2 to SP3  too.Then
>
>    why developers have chosen this option?? Still expecting support
>
>    for Windows XP .
>
> --
>
> *Cheers,
> Mayur*

Hi there,

In the spirit of going forward, please consider that your web server is
probably not an XP machine but some more advanced flavour of Window. Or, if
you are not so lucky and your target server is unable able to support PHP
5.5, you probably have other things to worry about than being able to keep
up with the very latest PHP versions at all times...

That said, if your target server is in fact PHP 5.5 capable, while your
development machine is not, why not install virtual hosts? Try any of the
virtualization software out there, they are great. And as a first bonus,
you will have less headaches trying to figure out why your code works
locally but not when pushed to production.

Regards,

--
Guillaume Rossolini