Re: Dropping support of Windows XP

Mayur Patil wrote:
    Today with New release of version 5.5.0 PHP has achieved
    great development milestone. But has dropped support
    for XP. I am wondering that most of people still using Windows
    XP while most them has shifted from SP2 to SP3  too.Then
    why developers have chosen this option?? Still expecting support
    for Windows XP .

I still have customer sites running on W2k simply because it is impossible to replace some of the hardware at an economic cost, and we have spares that will keep things working for many years. These will also remain on PHP5.2 as it's not worth risking upgrading them. They are windows sites simply because that is all the local IT departments would let us install in the mid 2000's. All new Apache/PHP setups are now supplied on Linux as they run at least 3 times faster than on Windows anyway.

Vista was kicked in to touch many years ago, and while W7 is suitable for new machines, XP will be deployed for a few more years yet. It's much the same discussion as the fact that the majority of PHP users are still on PHP5.2, it works perfectly and to change involves a lot of expense. Which the customers do not have. Personally I'm not going to be deploying PHP5.5 any time soon so it's not a problem. It will be a good few years before we can close down the PHP5.2 systems, and so I'll stick with the PHP5.4 setup we are now upgrading customer sites to.

The current development plan PHP is working to is simply not user friendly so little things like dropping XP support just make the decision NOT to move forward all the easier!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL