Object instantiation/referral conventions/alternatives

Sorry if subject line is off-topic/off-subject, but, again, comes down to not 100% sure about what am asking...:)

Either way, along with these sort of wrapper/parent type objects am now meant to make use of, the naming convention used to refer to them is like the following:
Security::functionName();
Database::anythingYouLike;

Those could be referring to either a function, a method, or a property, and think the objects Security and Database are being instantiated in the sort of page framework/wrapper I am referring to in the top part of a PHP page, but, not sure exactly how they are defined, if it's a server/naming convention setting that means they then don't need to specifically make use of the $ sign before the name of these objects, whether it's to do with them having being included/instantiated once off, globally, etc., etc., and the issue with trying to investigate something like this by searching around the 'net is that certain search terms aren't the best when it comes to searching around google for things like this...LOL!

What am trying to put together right about now are my own sort of dummy versions of these objects, so that can do a bit more testing/trying out code on my side before uploading pages to server, etc., but anyway.

Thoughts, etc.?

TIA

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker