Re: Alternative methods for storing uploaded images?

The answer is "it depends" and in some very specialized situations storing
binaries in the database might be the best solution. But in general, this
approach will cause you serious problems.

Some ramifications:

1) Browsers won't cache the images. So you'll take a CPU and bandwidth hit
every time
2) MySQL stores encoded binary data in a separate part of the database.
Your files probably won't get held in the memory cache. So each file load
carries the same penalty as a loading the raw file from disk.
3) It will make your database huge. Which will make it very challenging to
import, export, and move between test servers. Its easy to write scripts
that can handle content files that are missing from the server, but a
database is an atomic "all or nothing" thing.
4) Makes it difficult to manually edit things in the database.

My team is building a huge (hundreds of thousands of LOC) image management
plugin for WordPress. Have a look at our code and see how we solve these
problems. Specifically, look at the disk cache classes.

http://code.google.com/p/buddypress-media/source/browse/#svn%2Fbp_media%2Ftrunk

^C^