Template framework systems

OK, next question.

Do some of you implement your own forms of page template frameworks/modules, or do you specifically make use of other ones, since, for example, I see that while some of them sort of dynamically generate templated output, some of them specifically try to in fact sort of compile the output content pages before putting it out there to try help with a bit of run-time performance, etc. - as in think that while they'd obviously still handle content data dynamically, the actual layout/static output is already generated/assimilated before the time, etc.

I've already sort of used a very simple template system to generate static content management system output, but it was very simple, and am just wondering if, when it comes to primarily separating things like content and back-end functionality, what would you recommend as such?

TIA

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA