RE: "CLI has stopped working"

> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Jeff Dege <jeff.dege@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I'm trying to run a command-line php script, using php.exe version 5.2.6
> (This is the version of PHP that is included with MS4W 2.3.1):
> >
> > F:\ms4w\Apache\cgi-bin>php.exe -v
> > PHP 5.2.6 (cli) (built: May  2 2008 18:02:07) Copyright (c) 1997-2008
> > The PHP Group Zend Engine v2.2.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2008 Zend
> > Technologies
> >
> > Running under Windows Server 2007 SP2, I get an error: "CLI has stopped
> working."
> >
> > Browsing around, I see reports of this problem as far back as 2007, but
> nobody seems to have a definitive answer as to why this is happening, or
> when it was fixed.  Various reports of "fixes" are reported, following by other
> folks saying it hadn't worked for them.
> >
> > Does anyone have a clear explanation for what is going on?  Is it a
> configuration problem?  Or is it a bug that has been fixed?  Or a bug that
> hasn't yet been fixed?
> >
> > I'm stumbling around in the dark, and my customer is getting demanding.

This isn't a new error - I've found multiple references to it when running PHP CLI on Windows Vista and Windows 7 that go back a number of years.  But I've not been able to find an official bug report, or a discussion of a fix.

I wasn't looking for help in tracking it down, I was hoping someone would be familiar with it.

MS4W is "MapServer for Windows", a bundled package of Apache, PHP, and the Mapserver mapping application software.  It's latest non-beta version includes PHP version 5.2.6.

I just tried the latest beta version of MS4W, which includes PHP version 5.6.3, and this no longer has the problem.