Re: Getting rid of bugs I never thought I would have

> [...]
> >>(named ''Choose Data to View"), it cycles back to the same page
> >>like it should.
> >>
> >>Now the weird things start. Yesterday, in reviewing everything
> >>before submitting to this forum, I
> >>decided I should try it again ---- and to my astonishment for a
> >>while --- it worked! I could choose
> >>the working data checkbox, the woodworking checkbox or both and
> >>they would show. Don't
> >>check either and they didn't show just like should be. That was
> >>short lived, though(!). It hasn't
> >>worked since. Ahem..... talk about flaky.....
> >>
> >>But then I noticed another problem. To activate the user choice you
> >>have to click on the submit button of course. When I cycled through
> >>is when I noticed that now on species detail sheets that
> >>are set up to show a scan of the wood being reported on the scan
> >>that first showed disappears,
> >>leaving only the 'missing' graphic' symbol only.
> >>
> >>So now I have two consternating problems:
> >>
> >>         1 - How do I get the form to let users choose what data
> >> tables to show to work consistently
> >>              well all the time? If it works mysteriously some of
> >> the time, my code should be fairly
> >>              close to what it needs to be <fingers-crossed>.
> >>
> >>         2 - How do I keep the scan showing always? I realize that
> >> each time the submit button is
> >>              hit, the location for what scan file (all .jpg)
> >> should show gets lost. All scans are kept in
> >>              and alphabetical list of folders according to the
> >> first letter of the (botanical) name of the           wood being showed:
> >>                 /taxa/wood_scans/gallery_a/<filename>
> >>                 /taxa/wood_scans/gallery_b/<filename>
> >> /taxa/wood_scans/gallery_c/<filename>
> >> /taxa/wood_scans/gallery_d/<filename>   and so on, but have been loaded into
> >>                 the 'species' MySQL file (species.sql) also in
> >> column 'picture_filename'.
> ><snip>
> >
> >1) Fix 2 and I think 1 will be more easily traced.
> >2) I did not see that you were keeping the species_name once the
> >user clicks on "Choose data to view." You could add a hidden input
> >field that saves the value and returns it to the script. Something like:
> >echo "<input type='hidden' name='species_name' value='{$species_name}' />";
> >Once the user clicks the button to select the data they want to
> >view, PHP has no idea what species they were viewing.
>
> That might be a good suggestion, James. I will try this shortly
> tonight. I will let you know after.
>
> Can you possibly figure out why the form is working so flaky, now? As
> above, it worked when not in a table for formating (quite well at one
> early point), basically has not worked except briefly one morning
> (without any code change I know.....) and not since. I just checked
> now and it doesn't work.
> The URL at the top shows as
> http://www.prowebcanada.com/taxa/displayspecies.php?show_woodworking=OFF&show_numeric=OFF
> and that is even after I have chosen both user check boxes on and
> clicked on the submit button. Both should read on but both show OFF.

When I visited the site, there was an error in the generated HTML, so I
suspect your actual script in use is not identical to the one you
included in your mail.
The error was in the img tag generated for a specific wood. NULL as filename,
no quotes around url, and an extra '>' on the end.

> >Thanks,
> >James
>
> Here's hoping that you or someone can catch what I have not quite
> coded correctly.
>
> Bill
>

> >--

Niel Archer