Behavior of mail() function

Running PHP version 5.3.1, I find that if my script tries to send an email message to an address in the local domain, and the address is invalid, mail() throws an error:

mail(): SMTP server response: 550 5.1.1 <SAMPLE@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

Is there a way I can configure PHP so that mail() would return false in this case, rather than throwing an error which causes the script to die?

Our mail server is a Linux server running Postfix, if that matters.

Thank you
Lewis Kapell