Server side redirection - yet again

I know this most likely isn't possible, and am currently using javascript, along with using PHP script in each page to just double check a session login before displaying page content to make sure the user/person browsing the specific page is in fact logged in, etc., but I now have a word document that would be nice to make downloadable from the members section of a website, but not sure how it would be possible to really stop someone from downloading the file if, for whatever reason they had the direct URL for it, without sort of never really offering that to anyone without having sort of redirected them via backend to get the file - sort of like maybe loading the file into a buffer of sorts, setting the response file type, and then sending it to them - not sure how possible/doable this is via PHP, or on a linux server?

I know I could alternatively just create an HTML file bazsed on the word document, and then implement the PHP session checking into it, etc., but would really prefer to just keep the document unchanged as such.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA