Issue with MSSQL and PHP under windows

I've been trying to track down a gremlin within our servers for months now and can't seem to determine what I can do to resolve this issue. My existing setup is a MSSQL server running on Server 03 and it's a fairly beastly server. It's a 3.0ghz, dual processor, quad core server with 4 gigs of memory. Our web server is a bit more meager, a 3.4ghz dual processor, dual core xeon with 2 gigs of ram. I've been fighting with an issue which I had originally though was IIS where once we would get ~60 users on our system, PHP would lose its ability to connect to the MSSQL server and the only immediate way to resolve the issue was to restart IIS. The main users of the webserver is our call center, an average user loads a page once every 30-60 seconds. When I started working with the previous programmers code, I was able to reduce the frequency of this problem by optimizing some less efficient queries and writing some stored procedures. To ease the phone calls, I wrote a check where if the system is unable to connect, it would restart IIS. Over the past few months I've been rewriting our call center site under the Zend Framework and switched our server from IIS to Apache v2.2 and I'm receiving the same issues. During testing, when we had 30 users on Apache and 30 on IIS, IIS would still crash but Apache never had any issues. Once we moved the other 30 users to the new site, the errors are occurring again. I've already made sure I installed the ms sql client tooks on our webserver and have ntwdlib.dll in the system32 directory but I'm at a loss as to what the issue is.

Part of me wonders if it's an issue with PHP's MSSQL functionality or an API issue. I could take the time to convert our server and try using apache under Linux but I can't imagine I'm going to have a better experience with FreeTDS but at the same time I can't be the only person with this much traffic on a Windows / MSSQL setup. Has anyone had a similar issue? I'm pretty stumped at this point and would appreciate any suggestions / ideas. Thanks!

-Justin