Can't get MySQL extensions to load

Evening.

I've installed the latest PHP using the zip files (not the installer) to my
Windows 2003 machine with IIS.  I have tested the installation with a
phpinfo() and was successful.  I installed Roundcube and when trying to
connect to the site was greeted with an error about being unable to connect
to the database.  I rechecked my connection string and all seemed well.
Figuring I'd come back to it later, I went to install Joomla and during the
install process was told that Joomla is unable to connect to MySQL.

I have checked and rechecked my php.ini file (though I may be missing
something not obvious)

PHP in general works.

My system PATH is configured for C:\php and I have restarted several times

I've even redownloaded the php zip files and compared the md5 to make sure
it was not corrupt.

MySQL is active and working on localhost for an email server without any
issue.

Have tried both mysql.dll and mysqli.dll

I have searched Google with out any success.

Is this something with PHP or my MySQL install?  I'm out of ideas.

Patrick