To: "Gustav Wiberg" <gustav@xxxxxx>
Cc: "PHP-Windows Group" <php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:30 PM
Subject: Re:  PHP-memory leak with COM-objects?

I've worked a lot with the Word COM and while it works well on a
single desktop, I wouldn't recommend it for a server process. It's
rather slow and while the memory eventually gets cleaned up, it still
takes up a lot of memory for as little as it does. I'm not so sure
OpenOffice is much better in this regard.

You could push these tasks to another server, but I'd also look at
what you are doing and see if you can do it another way. We currently
use Word documents as template for a mail merge type operation and are
looking to move these to RTF since that enables us to take Word out of
the loop when doing the mail merge ( we actually just do a global find
and replace in the document since we've found more consistent results
with that ). But again, this all depends upon the application.

John