From: George Pitcher <george.pitcher@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Gustav Wiberg <gustav@xxxxxx>; php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 12.04pm
Subject: RE:  open/download file not under www-root

Gustav,

Windows 2003 Server/PHP 5.0.1

Is it possible to download a file from a server that is at for
example u:/documents/ which is not under the www-root?
How would I reference that file. (I just want to open it -for
example a word-file)

Yes, you can. I actually let my [registered] users download files that are
stored on a different PC to the server. The server pulls the file across and
provides a header allowing download - mine are all PDFs but I don't see that
Word files would be a problem - just a different content-type.

I use Apache, but previously used IIS (NT4) without any problem. (I switched
to Apache to do some extra java stuff that was impossible under IIS.)

My code:

<?php
$fp=$_POST['fp'];
$tr_id=$_POST['tr_id'];
$fpd = "G:\\".$fp.".pdf";
$len = filesize($fpd);
header("Content-Type: application/pdf");
header("Content-Disposition: inline; filename=$fpd");
header("Content-Title: $fpd");
header("Content-Length: $len");
readfile($fpd);
?>