issues with serial data acquisition

Hi!

Recently i was using php-cli with php_dio.dll for manipulate data from and
to the serial port (com) under windows xp. Like an adquisition system that
inserts data into a mysql database.

While i worked with 2 virtual serial ports, my scripts worked fine and
efficiently.

Knowing that, i tried to test my adquisition data program in a real fisical
port (com1 or com2).

So far i haven`t any good result with that, nor even making an echo with
every char arrived. Nothing is captures by the program.

Why this could happen ???

Is there a exception or recommendation working with real data or real ports?

Tell me if it is necessary to put the complete script.

Regards,
Aghor