Configuring and send mails in winxp??

Hi Everybody! I need to configure the mail option in PHP because I want to
use the function mail( ) with the smtp of my ISP.
My machine is the server of an Intranet and the mail had to go to the
Internet.
This server is using Apache 2.x

How can I configure php to do that??
I read the documentation and I write some code but the mail is sent but is
going nowhere because I send to another mail direction (mine, obviously) and
it never arrive.

HELP!!!