Re: PHP generated Excel Spreadsheets

I don't see why you'd have compatibility issues with Excel 2007.  In theory, Excel_Writer (which we've used where I work but it's been a while since I've messed with it) creates either 97 or 2000 style Excel spreadsheets, which should be importable into Excel 2007 with no problem.

I've used the other methods mentioned too and all work well if you have people downloading the excel file or viewing in excel via web page.  If you need to create an XLS file without downloading via a browser, then you're better off trying to get Excel Writer to work, even though it's capabilities are kind of limited.

Some people may mention COM, but that's kind of an ugly solution.  You'd need Excel installed on the machine you had PHP running on and you gotta be really sure you close Excel properly when you're done using it.  If I recall, there's a "close" function that only closes the worksheet.  You need to do like Application.Exit or maybe it was Quit or something to get it to actally close the Excel application.  Otherwise, you'll get a copy of Excel running for each time the script is run (server crash anyone?)

Outputting to CSV or HTML with an Excel header, as demonstrated already, are good quick and dirty solutions.   Or you can create a page that's an HTML table and use Excel's "Import -> Web Query" function to pull the table when you open the pre-made Excel spreadsheet and auto-refresh the data from the Web Query.

Good luck however you decide to do it.

-TG