Unable to chdir('..') -- blocks phpMyAdmin setup

Hi on the list!

I encountered severe troubles when I tried to get phpMyAdmin running. Strange things are happening:

There is a script: phpMyAdmin\scripts\setup.php. When I change into that directory and call "php-cgi setup.php", I recieve a nice HTML output. When I do that via http://server/mysql/scripts/setup.php, I reviece error messages:
-----
D:\FileServer\IT\mysql\phpMyAdmin\scripts PHP Warning: chdir() [function.chdir]: No such file or directory (errno 2) in D:\FileServer\IT\mysql\phpMyAdmin\scripts\setup.php on line 11 PHP Warning: require_once(./libraries/common.lib.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in D:\FileServer\IT\mysql\phpMyAdmin\scripts\setup.php on line 12 PHP Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required './libraries/common.lib.php' (include_path='.;C:\php5\pear') in D:\FileServer\IT\mysql\phpMyAdmin\scripts\setup.php on line 12
-----

hmmm.... looks like I am not able to change the directory. I wonder where I am and add a line in the beginning before the chdir('..') statement:
echo getcwd() . "\n";

I call from command line interface (CLI) and get:
´╗┐D:\FileServer\IT\mysql\phpMyAdmin\scripts

And I wonder where these strange signs before the path originate from...

I call via http, and the working directory looks nice, but maybe that's just a matter of presentation. I try setting the working directory by a hard-coded chdir statement. Works fine with CLI, but it turns out that when called via http the working directory never changes!

I even tried to go on ISAPI, but the situation did not improve -- An earlier script failed to chdir...

Please, help me finding out why it behaves like that and how I can get the script running!

Thanks very much!

Cz.

OS: Windows Server 2003
Server: IIS6