PHP returns source file instead of processing it

Hello,

I am completely new to PHP, so maybe this is just a beginner's mistake, but anyway, I would appreciate any advice to cope with the situation.

I installed the windows binaries (5.2.0 installer from http://www.php.net/downloads.php) on my XP box. To test the installation of PHP, I use a minimal test script "phpinfo.php":

<? phpinfo() ?>

When I call "php phpinfo.php", all I get is a dump of the source file but not the info I should recieve. It seems as if PHP does not process the file but just prints it.

I tried the same file on my openSUSE Linux system: all fine.

Can somebody please provide a pointer into the right direction to get PHP running?

Thanks in advance!

Cz.