File not found error

I can't figure out how to fix the file not found error that I'm
getting. "... failed to open stream: No such file or directory..."
I've looked for answers all over the net and can't find anything that
seems to help. Basically I only get the error when using relative
paths. My PHP include_path is set to ".;c:\php\includes". Absolute
paths work just fine. I know my PHP is at least mostly configured
correctly. I say mostly because I run Gallery (which uses PHP) on my
server and it works just fine but I cann't run either phpBB2 or
MediaWiki because they use relative paths for includes. phpBB2 does
work when I change relative to absolute but I don't want to go through
and edit ever single file... plus upgrades will be a pain. So anyone
run into this problem and solve it? Thanks.
- Alex

some phpinfo:
PHP Version 5.2.0RC3-dev
Build Date  Aug 31 2006 20:16:01
Configure Command  cscript /nologo configure.js
"--enable-snapshot-build" "--with-gd=shared"
Server API  Apache 2.0 Filter
Virtual Directory Support  enabled
Configuration File (php.ini) Path  C:\php\php.ini
PHP API  20041225
PHP Extension  20060613
include_path .;c:\php\includes .;c:\php\includes