Ereg problems

Hi,

Without getting into a long drawn out discussion, can anyone show me a way
to validate a string that is input from a form.

I want to allow the following: a to z, A to Z, 0 to 9, and "_-'" (without
the double quotes) and spaces. I have now been screwing around with this for
over 8 hours. There are other issues as well that has been compoudning this,
but this would be a great start to solving my issue.

Thanks