Re: php5

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 08:10:22 +0000, Lester Caine wrote:

> Mike harrell wrote:
>> Is php5 backwards compatable with php4 scripts ?
>
> We run a lot of PHP5 code that works fine on PHP4 as well, but there are
> a number of areas that will give problems and may need you to make
> changes to code.
>
> http://uk2.php.net/manual/en/migration5.php is the starting point, but a
> number of other annoying changes happened between 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 so
> you will need to check the additional migration notes for each of those.
>
> ( Do we need a proper Migrate PHP4 to PHP5.2 document? )

I have found that each version of PHP is not backwards compatable with the
one before.  4.4 is not compatable with 4.3 etc.

Each release seems to have a set of little fiddles that make something
break.  Going from 4.4 to 5.x makes just about every script we have break
- badly.  It would be a major coding task requiring at least one dedicated
regression tester and 3 programmers for us to get up to stable at 5.x in
in a realistic space of time.

The COM stuff is totally different.  Object handling in 5.x is complete
overkill, default reference passing behaviour has changed.  Oh - and in
all the tests I have done, php 5.x is slower that php4 :-(

IMHO php 4.4.x is a really cool interpreter which is ideal for web tasks
of any size.  PHP 5.x has lost its way, trying to compete head on with
asp.net and jsp.  If I want jsp, I'll go get jsp.  If I want asp.net - I
get psychotherapy!

"If it ain't busted, don't fix it!"

AJ

--