Re: setcookie() not working - help!

Beraru Liviu wrote:
Hello,
  I am a newbie in php and have a problem with setting up a cookie.
  The code should just verify if the user's browser has a cookie from my site, and if there is one, then increase the counter file. If not, then the counter should not be increased.
I have Xampp installed, the latest version, which means also php 5.
  But, when I test the script I get from the my server the following error message:
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\Programme\xampp\htdocs\Laborator\index.php:5) in C:\Programme\xampp\htdocs\Laborator\index.php on line 55 Line 55 is where stands the setcookie() method.
  I have no idea what is wrong and what this error message means.
Could someone please help me? The code I wrote is this one:
<snip code>

From the PHP manual page for setcookie (shocking that it would have something useful for this problem isn't it!)...

"setcookie() defines a cookie to be sent along with the rest of the HTTP headers. Like other headers, cookies must be sent before any output from your script (this is a protocol restriction). This requires that you place calls to this function prior to any output, including <html> and <head> tags as well as any whitespace. If output exists prior to calling this function, setcookie() will fail and return FALSE."

Read the manual page: http://php.net/setcookie - everything you need is there.

-Stut