				From: "Mike Matz" <mmatz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 09, 2006 12:48 PM
To: php-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SPAM-LOW: [PHP-WIN] Unicode data w/ PDO DBLIB, MSSQL

Is there currently any way to retrieve Unicode data from SQL Server?
I'm working with SQL Server Express 2005, on a database that's been
restored from an old SQL Server 2000 database. I'm writing a PHP script
that imports data from the MSSQL database, processes it, and adds it to
a MySQL database with a different schema. So far I've been unable to do
this reliably, as there is a lot of multilingual, Unicode data in the
MSSQL database. I'm trying to use the PDO method of database access,
but could fall back on another method if this is impossible. I'm able
to connect to my database using either ODBC or DBLIB MSSQL drivers.
When using DBLIB, I get an error:

$db = new PDO('mssql:host=\\\\.\pipe\sql\query;dbname=my_db', $user,
$pass);
$sth = $db->execute("SELECT * FROM Products");
$sth->execute();
print_r($sth->fetchAll());

gives me this exception:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'PDOException' with message
'SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 10007 Unicode data in a Unicode-only
collation or ntext data cannot be sent to clients using DB-Library (such
as ISQL) or ODBC version 3.7 or earlier. [10007] (severity 5) [(null)]'

When using ODBC, I get very strange results. There are no errors or
exceptions, but in every row, all columns following the first
text/unicode column will be empty. For example, if I SELECT Product_ID,
Short_Description, Product_Season (Short_Description being TEXT,
possibly with unicode), Product_Season will be empty. However, if I
SELECT Product_ID, Product_Season, Short_Description -- I'll get the
Product_Season. Short_Description is empty in both cases (even if it's
not empty when viewing with SQL Query Analyzer).

Has anyone seen this behavior or have any ideas as to what I should try?

Thanks,
Mike